Jobs in World Health Organization
The World Health Organization or WHO is a specialized agency of the United Nations. The main functions of the WHO are:
• To organize international efforts, to control outbreaks of diseases.
• To promote programs to prevent and treat diseases; like the distribution of vaccines (to prevent) or drugs (to treat).
• To make studies and investigations to find cures and vaccinations for diseases.
• To set norms and standards about public health, and to promote and monitor their implementation.
• To provide technical support to countries in need.
The WHO was established on April 7, 1948. Its headquarters are in Geneva, Switzerland. It has 193 members; the Cook Islands, Niue and the 191countries members of the ONU.
The WHO’s governance is composed by:
• The World Health Assembly: It is the main decision body. It is composed in delegations. The assembly meets once a year (generally in May) to discuss and supervise financial issues and to approve the organization budged. It also chooses the general director.
• The executive board: It is composed of 34 members, who are elected every four years. They have meetings in January and in May; right after the assembly’s meeting. Its main activities are to carry out the decision the Health Assembly took as well as to give the Assembly recommendations which can help take better decisions.
• The Secretariat, It has about 8000 employees working at the headquarters, as well as in the regional offices.
Organization website: http://www.who.int
English code: WHO
Spanish code: OMS
WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION JOB OFFERS
|JOB OFFER||JOB TYPE||COUNTRY||ADDED ON||DEADLINE|